Thursday, June 01, 2006

I didn't leave my heart in S.F.

When I travel, whether for work or pleasure, I make food a big part of the trip. San Francisco was no exception. Last night we hit Tarantino's on the Wharf follwed by Buena Vista for coffee, and then Ghiradelli Square for chocolate. What more could you ask for???



That bottom layer separting out is pure Irish Whiskey baby! Kept me warm on the trolley ride back to the hotel.






















This was actually ROUND 2 of dinner...I started with the first glass of Kendell-Jackson Chardonney and crab cakes with Mango Salsa. Then the WHOLE dungeness crab. Did I mention I like to eat on these trips??


What would a trip to San Francisco be without a voyage to "The Rock"? This is the warden's house after it was burned out during the Native American occupation of the island. I have more pictures later of all the beautiful flowers now growing inside the house and elsewhere on the island

THE ROCK: ALCATRAZ FEDERAL PRISON


Block D (on the left) was for those that still just couldn't behave. And if they still acted up, the bottom row shows the isolation cells. The very top row, last cell was the "home" of The Birdman. The view on the right is a sliver of what the prisoners could see from a few windows






I was joined on the tour by several of my classmates from PA school...Brian, his girlfriend Mandy, myself, Carrie, and Dan. Don't we look smart??? And cold!!!!

Inmates were granted food, shelter, clothes and medical treatment. Everything else was a privelege they had to earn. The left hand picture is the recreation yard which inmates on good behavior could visit once a week. The view on the right is through a cracked window in the prison cafeteria.







I have more pictures to share and will be doing so as the week goes on. San Francisco was fun and I will definitely plan to go back again for more fun and less work. I managed 24 hours of continuing ed though. Next time, I'm hitting wine country!

No comments: