Sunday, October 05, 2008

Out and about!

I have been out and about much of this week looking for a place to live. I have made the decision and had the decision forced a little too, to rent. I have my house up for sale in Minnesota and I don't know the area and what winter is like in certain areas so buying is just not going to work right now. The pictures are very good examples of what it looks like to get to most of the places I have looked at. The key is to be "up on the hill" for winter. It can be 20-30 degrees warmer up there than right in town. Also better to be near Fairbanks b/c the water is better OR have a place where your water is delivered.

Fuel oil is used for heat. Water is either a well with a required water softener and sometimes also a purifier. Electricity is normal. Cable is not available in more remote areas. The same with internet. Some places have floor heating, some have a wood stove. Multiple paned windows are a good thing.

My criteria were fairly broad but a few things I want just because if I'm living up here I want to live like "they" live. I did not want to be "in" town. I did not want a crowded neighborhood, city traffic, etc. I wanted a log home or at least a home that looked "Alaskan" inside (hardwood floors, lofts, whatever). I did not want to be so far out I couldn't make it to the hospital in decent time, in the dead of winter, in the middle of the night. I had to have room for all my Stampin' Up things.

I think I have found "it". It is off the main road up on the hill. It's a log home with triple paned windows, a Toyo stove, electric backup heat, gas counter top stove, and TWO ovens. The second floor is lofted and includes great work space, the master bedroom with full bath, and great storage space. The main floor has the other two bedrooms which I can keep colder to save on energy until I need them. Plenty of space for my craftin' stuff. A little backyard with elevated garden boxes in already. Owners will full the fuel, propane, and water tanks before they leave so I will have those taken care of. They owners are "normal" people (as in I do not feel the need to check with the FBI to see if they are hiding). Overall, the whole place is very homey and just what I need. Would love to buy a place just like it but not with the market and not with owning one home already.

So these are the roads in the hills. Trees right up to the edge. Snow always at the higher levels even when it's melting in town. Moose supposedly. I haven't seen any yet. If it's clear you can see Denali National park even though it's 200 miles away but I wouldn't say it's been "clear" since I got here. We have had sunshine but not clear enough to see McKinley. But at least I can say I'm getting settled. It's a good feeling.

No comments: