Saturday, February 26, 2005

Homesickness


The Sleeping Giant....I could see this guy every morning when I woke up.

The only good thing about being homesick is having someone else that is also homesick around to reminisce about home. THANK GOD, Dr Ford is here! This morning we were horribly slow at work...recurring theme this week. So Dr. Ford (formerly Dr Hale while in Helena) and I were sitting on the counter in the work room and she leans over and says, "For my birthday my husband got me a six pack of Scapegoat Ale and I cried." I completely knew what she was talking about. I have a six pack (down to 3 I think) of Scapegoat in my fridge (great beer from Big Sky brewery in Missoula for those of you who don't know what it is). For the last month or so I have been what I initially pawned off as "Heather-sickness" (see previous Value of a Great Girlfriend). Anyway, I now have determined, I just flat out miss Helena. I miss going to the grocery store to pick up one thing and have it take me an hour because I run into people that I can chat with. I miss drives around town looking at all the cool old houses when I can't sleep or don't feel like doing much else. Would love to start my day with a drive-through at the Morning Light for a Mint Breve. I would love to meet Scott at the Brewhouse for a Beltian and a Vigilante (again...more Montana beer). Would love to stop at Pizza Hut on Euclid on my way home to grab cheesesticks knowing that Heather had the movie ready. I want to be able to answer the question, "Where are you from?" with the answer "here". Ugh....

Now, don't get me wrong. Things in Rochester are not bad. Other than a micromanaging doc in charge with short-man syndrome, I have it pretty good. I make good money, have a huge townhouse for reasonable rent, two cats that love me completely, a group of guy friends that would make any girl jealous (they are a super bunch of really fun guys), a fantastic boyfriend (who is gone on three trips in a row...picked him up last night and he flies out this morning, probably not helping with the homesickness), a great support staff at work and with the exception of the micromanaging short-man a job that I truly enjoy. Rochester itself doesn't have much more in terms of "nightlife" then Helena did and the shopping is definitely way better. I live an hour from the second largest shopping center in the world. Yada yada yada. So, most people would say, stop complaining! I know, I know.

But, what I wouldn't give to walk outside this morning, smile at The Giant and take in a nice deep breath of crisp mountain air. Nothing like it, anywhere else.

No comments: