Sunday, May 22, 2005

Star Wars Mania

Well, I've been bitten. I have never once seen Star Wars Episodes IV-VI. NEVER!! Now,some of you will find that absolutely dishonorable. How could I be a true blue American without having watched such an epic. So, several years ago when Episode I premiered, I went. I didn't camp out for months, in fact, I don't think I even went in the first two weeks that it was out. I fell in love with Aniken. What an adorable little kid. My then boyfriend felt the need to educate me on the Star Wars "thing". We sat down in his dorm room on a Sunday afternoon with the goal of "catching me up". We got 30 minutes into Episode IV and he turned it off. Couldn't stand me trying to connect I to IV. I was completely clueless on the whole Darth Vader transformation, everything but I was trying to connect everything. He refused to watch any more with me. It was then I made the decision to wait until Episode II and III hit the big screen. I had waited 20 years without seeing the originals so what would a few more years be.

Episode II was extremely disappointing as far as movies go. The special effects were great, the dialogue and acting were horrific. Aniken trying to be "mushy" just wasn't good, but at least he was still very much worth gazing at. About the time it came out is when someone let me in on the whole crossing over to the dark side issue. No way! I don't believe them! Aniken, sweet, innocent, Aniken...the chosen! No way!

Last night, Dave and I went to Episode III. Sure enough, you guys were all right. You weren't teasing me. Aniken has gone bad, Yoda kicks butt yet again (for a two foot tall wrinkly, green thing he's pretty cute too), the Princess and Luke are TWINS???, I learned all sorts of things. Now my goal in the next week or two is to sit down and watch IV, V, and VI. Any of you here in Rochester have them on DVD that I could borrow? I would even settle for VHS, I could sit in my den and make cards while catching up on what the rest of the world already seems to understand.

So, bottom line, I'm hooked. Not obsessed, probably won't go see it again, definitely wouldn't go in costume but I do want to know the rest of the story.

No comments: