Saturday, January 07, 2006

End of the holiday season

I hate taking down Christmas decorations. This weekend is Epiphany so it is officially the end of the Christian Christmas season. Time to take down the tree and all the associated decorations. Just like the awe that comes across a room when the lights of the tree are first lit there is a sadness that comes with the emptiness of the room once the tree and it's decorations are all boxed up. Even the cats are wondering around wandering what is happening. The tree is down, the lights all boxed up, the ornaments in their boxes. Now just a mess to sweep up and boxes to haul to the basement. Then back to a "normal" routine, right?

So to distract myself from the emptiness of my living room, I stole this from Osbasso
1. What did you do in 2005 that you’d never done before? Started my blog, started putting on lower extremity casts, celebrated New Year out and about
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Yes, I vowed to keep my paper calendar up-to-date and organized. I bought myself a nice leather planner and filled it with a daily calendar. In October I had to purchase the 2006 fillers to keep it going. Still got it and still am keeping it going. I also vowed to work on decreasing my debt...I eliminated no less than 4 credit cards completely and am close to having another one gone. This year we want to try not to eat out as much and cook instead. Of course, I'll keep pecking away on the debt too.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Where do I start, all kinds of people had babies this year...I would start naming the babies but I would be afraid I would forget one somewhere
4. Did anyone close to you die? A few people I knew, but no one close to me.
5. What countries did you visit? Didn't leave the States this year
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005? More time with the boy, a better handle on my debt, a polished office in my new house
7. What dates from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? My trip to San Diego with the boy in March, September 1st when my new doctor arrived at the clinic
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Buying a house
9. What was your biggest failure? Losing patience at work with interim boss, not being able to cope
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Let's see...crashed my bicycle over the 4th, broke my foot over Labor day, had whooping cough last winter
11. What was the best thing you bought? My house!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Surviving at work without a complete mental breakdown before the arrival of my new doc.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My lack of control at work the first 9 months of the year
14. Where did most of your money go? Toward a debt consolidation loan that subsequently allowed me to be sound enough to buy my first ever house
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? My New Year's Eve plans, new responsibilites at work, my house, my trip to Montana
16. What song will always remind you of 2005?"This Old House"
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder?Happier b) thinner or fatter? Weight is the same but I've slimmed in inches c) richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Traveled, slept
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying
20. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve? it's over but I had a wonderiful get-away weekend with the boy in The cities and got all dressed up and had a blast
21. Did you fall in love in 2005? Yes
22. How many one-night stands? Nada
23. What was your favorite TV program? SVU, CSI, ER, According to Jim
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Not really
25. What was the best book you read? I read so many...just one? Probably the first two in the books by Kathy Reichs...Deja Dead and Death Dejour
26. What was your greatest musical discovery? Little Big Town
27. What did you want and get? A safe and trusting relationship, a new boss
28. What did you want and not get? A little more cash left at the end of each month
29. What was your favorite film of this year? Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 28, I was in Norfolk, VA at a conference. I pigged out on crab cakes and a triple scoop brownie sundae before flying home to MN that night.
31.What one thing made your year measurably more satisfying? Decreasing my debt and buying my house
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005? If I wasn't in scrubs I was in workout clothes, this summer I was in the gym or playing sports 5 nights a week
33. What kept you sane? Heather, Osbasso, the boy, my secretaries
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Not really sure
35. What political issue stirred you the most? Iraq
36. Who did you miss? Heather, still can't get use to not having her within walking distance anymore
37. Who was the best new person you met? Does my new boss count?
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005. If you set your heart and mind to something, even if it is difficult, the satisfaction you get in the achievement is worth the hardwork and sometimes the tears it took to get there.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. I feel no shame, I'm proud of where I came from

No comments: