Monday, January 09, 2006

seriously people

I am going to rant for a bit...

I'm a physician assistant. I have a DEA license. The federal government has granted me omnipotent prescribing authority. I can personally prescribe a patient for 100 Oxycontin (the radio talk show host drug of choice) without even blinking an eye. I prescribe Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Percocet, Vicoden, Tylenol with Codeine, Ultram on a daily basis in large amounts since my patients aren't sick, they are broken and in pain. yes, i can figure out which one's have "problems" with it. yes, I have been fooled by one's that "didn't" have a problem with it. But these narcotic medications with very addictive properties are the drugs of my trade.

Tonight, I'm miserable. I have a headache, my nose is dripping, my throat is on fire and this afternoon I coughed so hard I puked. Officially "sick". at 8:45 pm when I finally finished meetings for the day I went to Target to get cold medicine. I could buy Nyquil easy enough but not Dayquil. For that I had to take a plastic card and go the pharmacist. other than a component to make one drowsy, those two medications both contain ingredients that can make meth. Why can you pick one off the shelf and the other you must sign your first born away for?

I settled on Halls Sugar Free Black Cherry cough drops, Sudacare shower discs (looks like urinal cakes that effervescence in the shower to decongest you), Nyquil, and then had to take my Tylenol Severe Cold plastic card to the pharmacist with 5 minutes to spare before closing. it was a pharmacy tech, not a real pharmacist. She asked me for my ID. Then got me my meds. Then printed my receipt as well as a second receipt that she asked me to sign without telling me what it was. That's a HUGE pet peeve of mine, if you are asking someone to sign something you should explain to them what it is. So I ask and she just casually says, oh just something to say you got the drug. I signed it, put it in my purse and then went and paid for my Nyquil at the regular counter.

Now I'm going to suck on a Halls, down two Nyquil with lemon tea and honey and call it a night! By the way...thanks again Os for sharing the bug.

No comments: