Friday, April 28, 2006

Happy Birthday, Heather!

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Heather...Happy Birthday to you!!!

Today is my best friend Heather's 28th birthday. This young woman is a rock. In her own life as well as in the lives of the student's she teaches, the friends she holds close and always for her family. The rock has a few cracks as any good weathered rock should have. It's been buried at times but it has always found it's way to the surface polished and shiny again. I can honestly say, without this young woman in my life, I'm not sure where I would be in my own life.



Heather and I met our freshman year of college at Carroll College in Helena, MT. I had spent the first semester with a completely incompatible roommate and Heather had spent a semester away from home and wasn't happy. At Christmas break she transferred to Carroll and I flew home from South Dakota to find a new roommate. I walked in the room and started crying immediately. She was so down to earth...I called my mom and exclaimed "Mom, she likes cows!" because she had all these cow and black/white decorations up. I was so excited. That was the start.

9 years later, we are still best friends. We have been through many things together in 9 years. Most recently this young woman, while teaching third grade full time, developing a wonderfully healthy relationship and still being there for her friends, she completed her Master's Degree online. She disciplined herself, followed a schedule and always stayed a head of the game. Way to go Heather!


This is Heather and I at a Phoenix Coyotes vs Colorado Avalanche game in Phoenix over Easter vacation 2002. She flew down to hang with us while I was in grad school.


Heather, Todd and I at the York Bar in Helena a couple summers ago. A trip back to Helena is not complete without a burger at York with friends.


Heather and I improvised a costume for her after I left my date crying in his truck in my driveway. he was a freak and I still wanted to go to the party. We raided her Dad's closet and off we went. Later that night she held me while I cried my eyes out in the ER. Thank you for that night!!! I love you Heather!!!














This is Heather and her Grandma Margaret at her "surprise" birthday party in April 2004. As I mentioned, Heather had been my rock for the year prior to this particular birthday and I needed to pay her back in some way. With the help of her mom, grandma, and Os I surprised her in her classroom with a party thrown from a distance! I got her a print that she has always wanted of a mountain goat jumping over a huge crevice. The title of the painting..."Faith". Heather gave me Faith when I couldn't find my own or trust that which I did have. Margaret gave Heather Faith often as well. Heather's grandma has passed away but she was a very very special woman.








Heather and I at York last summer. Like I said...a trip home to MT always means burgers at York. I'll be heading back this August and York is on the itinerary.


So Heather...bottom line: I am so proud of you this past year. You have come a long ways in more ways than one. Look at what you have accomplished! All my love to you, I'm thinking about you today.

No comments: