Friday, June 23, 2006

Daily ritual

There are a lot of things we do every day (or should do every day)...brush our teeth, go to bed, hit the snooze button, read before bed, feed the dog/cat/fish. Little habits and quirks that make us who we are. There are a lot of things we do every month...pay the rent, the mortgage, the car payment, call that good friend, etc. Weekly tasks include taking the garbage out, maybe a weekly league sporting event. Some of these things we enjoy doing, some we have to do and some we just despise all around.

I have a new "ritual" that is starting to bug the hell out of me. I've never been the type to get my mail every day. I usually go out to the mail box about every other to every third day. What I end up doing with my mail every time I do collect it out of the box is stand at the kitchen counter with the cupboard door open to get to the garbage can so that I can throw 80% of the mail I get out!

Many of you in my age group have student loans. Well, the feds are hiking the rates so every single financial agency (bogus or not) is sending out teasers to get you to consolidate with them. My loans have been consolidated and locked in since 6 months after I graduated college and grad school. Then there are all the credit card companies that know you have student loans and can't spend your own money so why not spend their's. I also get an absurd amount of medical product related media about the newest and latest miracle cure/device/pill for this, that, and the other thing. Then there's the mortgage companies that want to get you a better interest rate. The local business' with the "fine print" coupons that don't really do you any good anyway.
So, I'll continue to wait two to three days to collect my mail. I'll continue to have to throw 80% of it out. And they wonder why the rain forests are disappearing!

No comments: