Saturday, August 12, 2006

Recapped Road Trip: Weekend #1

On Friday, July 29th I snapped this first shot as I headed south on Hwy 52 (Speed Limit 55) to hit I-90 to begin my voyage across the country. First stop was to be Volga, SD to then hit Webster the next day for a huge family picnic.


Webster...or there abouts...is where my mom grew up. This is the big barn on the farm where she was raised. Her mom's name was Rose so when my mom's niece bought the place to keep it in the family, she had the large rose painted on the hayloft door. I like it. The barn is a bit scary on the inside though and isn't used for much these days. Too pretty to tear down though.

Every year my mom's cousin from Los Angeles comes out to spend part of the summer in South Dakota. While she's here she throws one heck of a party. Sort of an unofficial family reunion. Check out what my family does! trying to dress the boys up like girls!

The lovely lady on the left is the Grand Pupa of the party throwing...Barbara. The lady on the right is my mom. God bless her; it was 107 out that day and we were outside from 2 pm till 9 pm. What a good time we had though.

Doh! Yeah, I'm a dork! Cousin Tom was taking a nice picture of the three of us Kahl girls (yes, it's pronounced CALL) and I had taken my sun glasses off to get a nice shot. Well, the sun was really bright and it made my eyes water. Mom's laughing because she thought I was thumbing my nose at some one. The other one is my little sister. We obviously had to take a better picture but I thought this one was mroe fun to post :)

The weekend concluded with a trip to the cemetary to say hi to Grandma, a drive out to the farm and then a stop at the nursing home on the way to Mom and Dad's to visit the other Grandma. A good night's rest in my old bedroom and I was off to Montana. More to come :)

No comments: