Sunday, February 11, 2007

Senseless

I've been super busy this weekend but something is weighing on my chest and I need to get it off before I go to bed and start the new week. On top of getting a new dishwasher, demo'ing at a very successful Stampin' Up at-home workshop, covering the hockey game, dinner with the boy, a migraine, church and open volleyball, I got news of a very bad accident in my hometown on Friday night/Saturday morning.

When I say I grew up in a small town, I mean really small. The population when I graduated high school was around 300. I graduated with 11 people. The class behind me had 18 or so. My sister's class four years later had 8. You get the picture.

Friday night two classmates from the class behind me were killed in a car accident. A third member of that class is in critical condition. One of those killed married a classmate of mine right out of high school so they have been married for 9 years and have three kids under the age of 5. The other one killed is married to a gal from the class behind their's and they have two kids under the age of 5.

I cried on Saturday morning when my sister called me. Two hours later I was angry and I'm still angry. The cause of the accident was a group of adults acting like teenagers. Even my widowed classmate has said that already in her grief. They were racing another group of friends in another car and had been drinking. One of the vehicles lost control coming into town around the big curve right next to the now widowed classmate's mom and dad's house. Could it all get any worse.

Isabel is a dying town to start with. Since I graduated in 1996 the population has continued to drop and is now around 250. These young people chose to stay in Isabel. They are part of the community. Now the community is getting ready to bury two of it's own. I cried tonight at Mass for my classmate. I was always jealous of her marrying her high school sweetheart and having three beautiful kids. Now I can't imagine the grief and sadness.

Please pray for my hometown, they could use it right now.

No comments: