Sunday, April 22, 2007

A new friend

I was presented with a new friend today. Meet Zeus the Moose

The last week has been hell. My massage therapist can probably best describe how it has affected me because he spent an hour just on my back today and still didn't get all the knots out. I didn't cry when he was digging into my intercostals but it sure burned. I'm on my second round of ice now but at least I can take a deep breath again without my back screaming at me.

Those who follow along know my mom has been sick for a long time. There have been good periods and bad periods over the last 6 years. We have now reached the point where bad periods outnumber good ones. Mom has been in the hospital twice in 10 days. They moved a hospital bed into the farm house this week. I have vacation planned to go back to South Dakota over Memorial Day week. Mom and dad called on Wednesday night and said if I could plan to come sooner I should. Mom actually agreed it was a good idea to come sooner. That is NOT a good sign.

Whenever I have had serious stressors in my life my friends have pulled through. My friends are spread all over the damn country though. Nonetheless, they have always been there for me and when they haven't been able to physically be by my side, they have given me a stand-in. That's where Zeus comes in...I met a friend for lunch today after my massage and she presented me with Zeus. I'm going to take him along on the trip to South Dakota this week.

Zeus is joining a long line of inanimate, stuffed critters who have gotten me through the rough spots. There was the ivory bear from my RA when grandpa died, the moose from my boyfriend on my 21st birthday who looked like he was 20 years old on the first day he was bought, there's the panda bear from "that" HNT post. Zeus sounds formidable so hopefully he's up to the task of consoling me through the next step.

No comments: