Sunday, September 09, 2007

Weekend rundown

Rundown...that about sums it all up. The week has come and gone and I'm completely rundown. My head is stuffy from a head cold, my head and neck are throbbing from a migraine, my arms and legs are full of mosquito bites scabbed over and red, my quads are still aching from a 30-1 kickball victory. I think I need another weekend away but who knows when I'll have time for that!

I thought after last weekend's long rest I would be up and running on all 8 this week. Not the case. Tuesday the family had to come to the realization mom just isn't healthy enough to be at home anymore. By Wednesday evening she was transferred from the hospital to a nursing home 60 miles from home. Luckily Grandma is just down the hall and was able to sit with her until Dad and my sister were able to show up. Mom is no longer able to stand on her own and she can't eat much either. She is on a lot of pain medication and not nearly comfortable enough.

I got an email on Tuesday or Wednesday as well telling me I had "upset" the athletic trainer at last week's high school football game. I guess I stepped on his toes by talking to a parent of a player who got injuried. Whatever...the trainer was in the locker room, I was standing in front of the stands, the dad asked how the kid was. Duh...I'm a trained medical professional and who cares if the kid trainer worked for the Washington Redskins for a year. I've been with this team for 4 years and working in sports med for 10 + years. I wasn't going to just tell the dad I didn't know anything. I spoke with the head athletic trainer for The Clinic about it and he said not to worry about it either as he would have done the same thing. I was also big enough to write the kid an unneeded apology which 5 days later he still hasn't responded too. This week's upcoming home game might be interesting. The kid needs to understand I'm not going to come to a football game I'm assigned to work at and just stand and do nothing.

Wednesday night I felt like I had been run over by a mack truck. By midnight I was completely stuffed up. I loaded up with Sudafed on Thursday and managed to help my kickball team to a 30-1 victory in our second week of play. Who knew an adult could have so much fun playing a child's game?

Friday was miserable. Couldn't breathe, couldn't hear, could hardly talk. Boss was a grouch because he agreed to schedule four huge surgical cases on our call day and then got hit with 3 added cases. Not my fault! Then he yelled at me for trying to get our regular scheduled cast room patients taken care of on time too. At least he was cordial last night at the department party.

The boyfriend and I hung low on Friday night and I actually slept well. yesterday I could breath without sudafed but was still running around with a severe case of "medicine head". I managed the outpatient picnic and the department shootout. The boy even managed to get fourth place in the shooting contest! I was very happy. By bedtime though I was itching, stuff, and by 4:30 this morning fighting a headache. Luckily he let me sleep until 11. I then helped him set up his new tent and now I'm stuck at home with ice on my neck sipping a hot cup of tea and working on laundry.

This week will be better, right?

No comments: