Saturday, February 23, 2008

Chunkster Book Review


  • Publisher: Hyperion
  • Pub. Date: January 2005
  • ISBN-13: 9780786890750
  • Sales Rank: 11,623
  • 512pp
  • Edition Description: Reissue
I put off reading this particular book, thanks to modern media. The previews for the movie starring Hilary Swank made this story out to be a sappy, gooshy love story. Sappy and gooshy are two things I do NOT need of late. So even though a friend dropped this off on my doorstep a few weeks ago it wasn't until this trip to Montana that I began turning the pages.

Once I started turning, I fell in love with Holly. I could see ME in Holly and that scared me a bit. In my young 30 years I have gone through a divorce, watched my mother slowly lose a battle to cancer, had a three plus year relationship end, and have questioned my job. Poor Holly had her load of crap too....leading off with the death of her husband. Her husband knew her so well though, that with his passing he prepared the steps for his wife to heal.

As Holly reads each of the notes left by her husband to be delivered to her at the time of his death, I remembered the struggles and heartache of healing a broken heart. I remembered my own friends who helped me through as I laughed at Holly's friends Sharon and Denise. I remembered the anxiety as I walked into a job interview I desperately needed. Wish I had had Holly's footsteps to walk in a few times in the past.

This enduring story of healing and recovery is just what I needed. It gave me a bit of encouragement. Yes, there is some "love" it the tail, but it's not a twitterpated love. The love is between family, friends, and those who have gone before us as they all recover from loss. Truly touching.

I haven't seen the movie, I don't think I will see the movie. Those who have gone say it's all sap and goosh...not this time.

Check out everyone else's chunky reads here.

No comments: