Thursday, December 11, 2008

A get-away

Alaska is a "small place". It may look huge on the map and there are miles and miles of undeveloped space here over the majority of the state. When you take the time to talk to someone be careful...you may know them from before, lived next to their brother in another state, or be related. The gal cutting my hair grew up 132 miles away from me and her "second mom" (you know, that one that listens when you can't talk to your real mom) was my grandma's "Second" daughter. Found out through my hairdresser that the gal was getting divorced. Called dad to confirm and he said, "oh yeah, I forgot to tell you.".

I did know one person when coming up here through PAOS. He was the one who pulled my car out of the ditch on Tuesday. Turns out a lot of his friends are from Wisconsin and are familiar with various areas I'm familiar with.

One of my undergrad classmates accepted a job up here and started working in Nome, AK as an eye doc in July. She and I were band geeks together under the direction of Os. We are his beer drinkin' buddies. We last saw each other when we were both home in February in Helena. Yes, Os met us and we chugged beers at Miller's Crossing until close :)

This weekend, Kamey is at an eye conference in Anchorage through noon tomorrow. My flight arrives at 3:30 and we will be hanging out all weekend, girls only! There will be lots of beer drinking, a viewing of Twilight (I finished the book on Sunday), and then the big adventure will be an attempt at snowboarding by me. Wish me luck! Kamey has instructions to check to see if I'm broken before she laughs at me.

There will be pictures to share for sure!

No comments: