Saturday, January 17, 2009

Tin Roof...Rusted!!

Disclaimer: This isn't MY roof because I'm too annoyed by the noise of it all falling to have gone out and taken a picture. This is my friend Tawnya's roof and her adorable daughter.

This is the phenomenon we are experiencing right now. Tin roofs are smooth. They melt from tin side up instead of snow side down. Water runs off first. The snow pile then loosens. It then starts sliding. Depending on how "sticky" it got while all the water was running out of it it will slide for a long time before it breaks off. The breaking off is unexpected, unpredictable and loud! Think rifle blast. It echos. Then it "thumps" when it smooshes into the wet ground.

I awoke this morning before sunrise (9 am wake up time, sunrise is around 9:30) and the house was quiet. I have not ventured out but I think all my snow is gone! YEAH!! Peace and quiet now.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: