Sunday, March 15, 2009

Frozen in time...

It was time to play a bit this weekend. The stress of the last two weeks was starting to crack me around the edges. So, I called up a friend, told her I was using her for her kids, and asked them to join me at the Ice Park on Friday night. It was a bit chilly but the kids were troopers and made me smile. It also allowed me to giggle and play like a little kid too. They thought I was "cool", I was just letting off a lot of pent up steam.

The Ice Park is one of the world's largest ice sculpting events with artists coming from all sorts of places. They can do single blocks and multiblocks. It's amazing what they do. They invite kids for a day of lessons, they have kid and grown-up areas in the park, and the best feature of the whole part is the 6 made from ice slides! I was ready to let loose.

The adults can have fun in the kid park too! Here are the kids in an ice basket. Once you get them all tucked in you start spinning them. They giggle and their mom and I got dizzy!



These are all single block pieces...












Jacob decided to take Kyla and I for a little Ski-Dooing!








But he took his mom and Kyla for a airplane ride without his hands on the wheel!




You aren't Alaskan unless you have a Carhartt coat!


























This eagle was one of my favorites. The stars and stripes in his wings are pretty amazing. All ice, all one piece.



As I mentioned, it was a bit cold out. As the night went on o ur breath started playing tricks with our pictures. These orchestra players seem to have some spirits dancing with them.










I think Kyla is lost with the creatures from the deep in the fog from my breath!










This is one of those things an adult should NOT try in the Ice Park. It's a big "swimming" pool shaped like a seal with his belly as the "pool". It's really easy to pull kids out of a bowl of ice. Not so easy for an adult to get out of a bowl of ice. There would have been pictures of that but Holly was the other adult fishing me out and she had both cameras. Jacob is in there with us but we aren't sure what he was doing!


Wheeee!!!!











Can't forget to carve Sarah in ice!







Double helix! how do they do that?!?!







We'll think Spring no matter what time of the year!







Not sure what it was but we liked it.






Not a bad way to celebrate 50 years of Statehood!
It was a wonderful night much needed for my heart and mind. Holly and the kids were just the trick. We played hard, warmed up with hot cocoa and cider, and came home with frosted ice lashes and hair but it was well worth it. To Holly, Jacob, and Kyla...thank you for the company!

No comments: