Wednesday, June 10, 2009

HNT...Brother, Can You Spare Some Change?

I traveled to Chicago last week to attend a week long review course to prepare for the national board test I must take to maintain my certification as a Physician Assistant. We are required by law to maintain 100 hours of continuing medical education every two years and sit for our boards every 6 years. It seems hard to believe but I have been a Physician Assistant for 6 years this September! The review course is very intense but I have chosen to specialize in Orthopaedics for the last 6 years and the exam is based in Primary Care. Therefore, a review course was in order. Between Monday at 7 am and Friday at 12:30 pm I completed 42 hours of classroom time and an additional 10+ hours of at home testing. When it was all over, a friend from Minnesota met me for the weekend and we took in a show at Second City, etc near downtown Chicago.

Second City has been the start for multiple comedians including the likes of Gilda Radner, Jim and John Belushi, Chris Farlee, and even the janitor from Scrubs! Second City, etc is a secondary stage is the building around the corner. The show was entitled "Brother, Can You Spare Some Change?" and included rehearsed skits as well as several improv skits. We even got an extra 40 minutes at the end for them to "practice" on us. Can't tell you the name of the building but it starts with "PA"...what I hope to still be after July 17th when I sit for the recert exam!!!



We were the second people in line and were waiting outside the main doors to be seated close and personal.









This is the stage backdrop. Can you tell house close we are?







The two young ladies at the table next to us were nice enough to take a picture for us.









Now...Can you tell how close we were. That's our table and the edge of the stage! I had to remove my leg for the show but we were THAT close. Before the night was done a special performance was made by crack detective "Johnny Hanson" who was roped into the skit by the talented crew. I personally think he did a pretty good job!


Happy HNT!

No comments: