Sunday, June 21, 2009

Midnight Sun Festival activities

Summer Solstice is a big deal in the land of Northern Lights! Those of us who chose to live this far north endure some interesting weather. The cold in the winter is the least of the strangeness. Cold is cold. But all day dark and all day light are a unique experience. I did okay adjusting to the dark b/c I've always lived in areas where I went to work in the dark and came home in the dark during the winter months. For me, it was easy to adjust to. Now, going to work in the daylight and coming home in the daylight, and being called back in during the middle of the night in daylight are a whole new experience. On Thursday night I drove home from the ER after taking care of a patient and needed to wear my sunglasses. It takes some getting use to and can play games with your mind when you think it's time to go to bed. But it's ALSO an excuse for a weekend long PARTY!

Saturday night of Solstice weekend is prime time for the Midnight Sun Fun Run. A 10K is started at the college at 10 pm and finishes in Pioneer Park. The hitch...if you start the race in costume, you have to finish the race in costume.
Here are the stats from the night before. The numbers are a little rain soaked but the sunrise was at 2:57 am and sunset was at 12:47 pm. Just two hours of "night" but night doesn't get dark. Think 2 hours of dusk!
This was before we were wet. It was raining but only barely. Julia and I posed for a shot under the arches before it got really wet.



This is Julia's husband, who was up to visit. Doesn't he look freezing? It was pouring rain around 9:00 pm and continued until almost 11.














It warmed up as the night went on. Anyone want to guess what time this is? It was around 11:00 pm. Those are the finishing shoots for the runners and we were "people movers" to keep the line going so there wasn't a back up at the finish line.








This pink flamingo made it with all her feathers intact but very heavy....
















The Runaway Bride crossed with his bouquet and then waited for his love one while shivering. We saw him later at Denny's and someone had given him a coat.














Hey Dad! This was fun, but I've got my jammies on and I'm ready for bed!














These two had a few beers along the way but they made it. Giggling while they crossed. Notice Julia's t-shirt. It's THAT wet!











I was a bit worried about the mermaids shells but they stayed on the whole race.
















Just b/c I wasn't running didn't mean I couldn't play along in the fun. I added my lovely 80's costume jewelry to my volunteer t-shirt. This is me still making sure runners are going through just at the stroke of midnight!

Today downtown hosted the Midnight Sun Festival. The streets were lined with fair food vendors and local artists. I was excited because my friend Vicki and her family were in town so I met them this afternoon. I had my obligatory chocolate covered frozen banana (it was so much easier to eat without all the crew back in Rochester making fun of me!) and great Thai food too.


Vicki's daughter wanted her face painted. She sat so still...

















And came out with a moose on her face!

























There were three stages of entertainment to be had as well. This stage had belly dancers dancing to the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack.


Last night before the Fun Run we stopped by Creamer's Field and found a flock of heron's hanging out. I just thought they were pretty.












No comments: