Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Close Encounters of the Moose Kind

I had a wonderful weekend but on Thursday the whole weekend could have all been over. I let Ruby out as soon as I crawl out of bed so I'm usually about half asleep when I open the door and let her out. I usually take a little glance though to make sure she's ok. Thursday morning I was at the door in my bathrobe and heard her enthusiastically run down the front porch steps, make her sharp right hand turn and literally heard her come to a skidding stop followed by a growl/bark combo.

I stuck my head out just in time to see and HEAR a momma moose shake her entire body and huff at Ruby as she got herself ready to protect the calf moose standing right behind her. I could HEAR her breathing and shaking. She was about 2 yards away from Ruby and about 3 yards a way from me standing on the porch.

I eagerly and with a squeaky and quivering voice started calling Ruby. She didn't bark any more and she didn't move forward but I had to call her several times before she high tailed it back to the front porch. She did a little "I got pee" dance for the next few minutes as I tried to shoo the moose. Momma came around the deck and looked over the rail into the dining room but I tapped on the window and made enough noise she and her baby took off.

Ruby was quite relieved when I was able to let her back out so she could take care of her business. Thursday night, we eagerly packed up our stuff to take off on Friday morning. I'm glad it was without a moose print on her forehead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is amazing.