Saturday, February 05, 2005

The value of a great girlfriend


Heather and I at Alive at 5 this past August

Okay...so I admit. I'm sort of homesick, but it is different. I don't miss Montana really. I do but that isn't what is at the heart of this entry. I miss my best friend. I'm Heather-sick (I now you are reading this and if you don't want to get all embarrassed and cry...stop reading now). So since moving to Rochester I have made great friends. Only hitch is they are 90% MALE. Now...I also know my guy friends read this so if you don't want to hear that you can't satisfy all my friendship needs, you too should stop reading.

I work in Orthopedic Trauma. Out of 50 orthopedic residents, only 5 are female. Now, of that 50, only 8 total are on OTS at a time. The odds of having a woman on that rotation is slim to none. I had one female last quarter and two this quarter. But, for the most part, I have hung out with "the boys" of OTS for 14 months. They are great...to them, I am one of the guys. Dr. Cummings (a carroll grad) was the first to make that blatantly clear when he would not so subtly pass gas in front of me. Like I said...gotta love them.

Now, outside of work, I have hooked up with a group that plays ultimate frisbee, volleyball and a few other sports together. Again, amazing guys. They are much more "polite" than the ortho docs but nonetheless, I'm a guy in sheep's clothing to them. I'm just "one of the guys" who happens to know a lot about girls. I love you all, but you aren't Heather. Heather is my best friend in the entire world. We met each other on a cold late night on 1st new in Guad Hall after neither one of us had had the best of first semesters at college...me at Carroll (school was great, roommate kept STRANGE hours), she at Western and very homesick. She moved in right before I flew back from Christmas vacation, December of 96. We took one look at each other and burst into tears as I gushed to my mom on the phone "mom...she likes cows". The rest is history but has led to a relationship that I can't replace (even with the couple of girl friends I have made in Rochester...you ladies are great too, but again, not Heather).

For the last two weeks I have been Heather-sick. It started when the boyfriend was in Vegas and I realized how much I missed him come Friday night and called heather. She answered the phone and we both broke into tears. 5 minutes later she has successfully distracted me and we talked and laughed for nearly two hours before calling it a night. Whenever either of us gets into a funk, the other knows about it before the first phone call or email is sent. I need a long weekend wrapped up in a fleece blanket in the recliner with her doing the same on the couch comparing men, bitching about men, watching silly girl movies that none of our guy friends (including our boyfriend's) will watch with us...all over a family size order of really greasy cheese sticks from Pizza Hut.

Miles and miles separate us, we can read each other like a book, talk nearly every day via email or phone but for some gosh darn reason I miss that girl and miss her something fierce. i only hope that each of you have a friend in your life like Heather. Heather...I miss ya, girl! i'm listening to the carroll game and I know you are there, so cheer loud for me!

No comments: