Monday, February 07, 2005

Seriously, people!

Okay...so I moved to a winter wonderland on purpose. Believe it or not, I actually LIKE shoveling snow. I have to have seasons and my favorite two are fall and winter because they are cold! Now, in this particular winter wonderland people are obsessed with their snowblowers. I could use the analogy that the bigger the snowblower the more the man is trying to "make up" for. There HAS to be some truth to that.

First, I'm thankful I don't work for the orthopedic hand service. With every snow fall, fingers start coming off. What possesses a grown man to stick is ungloved hand into his still turned on plugged snowblower to get it to go again? THAT is just plain stupid. What I saw today was just plain sad.

The past week we had 50 degree weather. Yesterday morning we awoke to pouring rain and by kickoff had big fat wet flakes falling. They fell the whole came. Total snowfall was probably about 1-2 inches. I'm driving to the gym this evening after a day of cool temps but lots of sun, any road traveled heavily was well cleared off, same with heavily traveled sidewalks. I drive through a residential area and there is a not very fit man (picture LARGE man) taking care of the snow on his sidewalk. An inch of snow is easy shovel material...hell, you don't even have to lift the shovel, just push it. NOOOOOO...this guy had the "I-can-blow-through-5-feet-tall drifts-with-this-bad-boy" snowplow out. There is MAYBE an inch and a half of snow.

Really, this man could have benefited from the quick 5 minute push the shovel workout, hell, his heart rate probably would have topped 100 just getting the shovel out. Sad! People, shoveling isn't that hard and that big boy snowplower with it's diesel tank really isn't necessary for an inch of snow when the sun is shining!

No comments: