Sunday, April 24, 2005

Catastrophic Failure?

"The Mayo Clinic Pharmacy intranet refill system is currently not working due to a catastrophic failure.We are unsure of the amount of time that this will not be available.To refill a prescription, please use the call-in refill system at (xx)x-xxxx.If you need to talk to a pharmacy representative, please call (xx)x-xxxx.We apologize for the inconvenience this causes. "

This was the statement that greeted me tonight when I logged on from home to the Mayo Web to refill my birth control pills. Normally, as an employee, I can log in, type in the prescription number and in about 6-8 hours my script is ready to pick up at the pharmacy of my choice as long as I remember to check the box as I click through the screen. Not tonight...I find a note of "catastrophic failure".

Just one more demonstration of how well the employees at Mayo are cared for. Bad enough that I can't fill my birth controls at the hospital in which I work (St Mary's was founded by the Sisters of St Francis so no form of birth control can be filled at the hospital). I can hop on the shuttle and head downtown to pick them up, no big deal. But now the world famous, best technology in the world clinic can't keep their employee on-line prescription program running? And the choice of words. Really? Was this catastrophic? Yes, it is an inconvenience, but what happened? Did the server literally combust into flames? i highly doubt the catastrophic nature of the cause but oh, well. Guess I'll have to call for my refill in the morning.

No comments: