Monday, April 18, 2005

Yoga or Torture?

Well...the fitness kick continues. Today I successfully completed a 14.2 mile bike without hyperventilating, collapsing, or seriously harming myself or others. That isn't the reason for the post. The bike ride actually felt really good by the end. It was a burn, but a good burn.

It was the Yoga DVD that I popped in once getting into the house that is working as my muse. Now, I don't want to go into a lot of details regarding why I felt the need to add yoga to my workout routine but it involves a male orientated conversation, of which details were shared with me. So, I'm attempting to be more bendy. If you have read my previous blog entries you know that I have been working with a personal trainer at the gym at Mayo. She's great. I meet with her every 6 weeks for a full fitness assessment and also see her a couple times of the week while I'm working out. The only portion of the assessment I consistently fail is the sit and reach. The same sit and reach from the Presidential Fitness Test back in grade school. I failed it then, I'm failing it now. My hips are shrinking, my waist is shrinking, my cardio health is great. When I wake up in the morning I can not reach my toes and only after multiple stretching breaks during the day and a good workout at the end of the day, can I reach my toes with a slight bend in my knees. HORRIBLE! Many of my male friends are quick to point out how bendy they are, including the boyfriend who also exclaims, "But you are a GIRL!"

So long story short, I bought a beginner's instruction DVD and a yoga mat this weekend. I popped it in tonight and I'm off. The sitting poses felt great, moved through the three of them no sweat. 45 seconds into the first standing pose I have sweat dripping down my chest. It only gets better. As my back leg quivers as I attempt to bend over my front leg with one arm extended the instructor in her calm, quiet voice asks me to turn my now extended spine and look at my upward hand with my head. YEAH RIGHT! I nearly toppled into the coffee table behind me.

I made it through 5 of the standing poses and called it quits. Yes, I did feel like I had had a good stretch, but I was drenched in sweat, my legs felt weak. I'll try it again tomorrow. I know all the benefits of flexibility. I tell all my patients to do it, I'm just not very good at it. So, I'll try a bit each day and if this goes well my next goal would be a tantric yoga class. That is going to be a LONG time in the making, but I'm going at it with a positive attitude and hopefully I'll make some progress over the next three weeks before I meet up with Paula again at the gym :)

Wish me luck!

No comments: