Friday, September 16, 2005

Debt reduction in progress

Whew! For the last 6 months I have been working with my credit union to get a head on my debt. I have two friends that loaned me a good chunk of money at the time of my divorce and I still owe them money. They were kind enough to do it without a second thought, I didn't even ask them for it, it has been interest free. Unfortunately, with rent, the debt from the divorce, student loans coming due, I haven't even started to pay either of them off. Six months ago the credit union helped me consolidate a large amount of my debt in preparation to be able to buy a house. With being able to buy a house, my goal was to get something equal to or less than my current rent payment so that in the next year to come I can start paying off my friends. My thought was with the money I would save on rent payment, plus what I will get back on my taxes because of it that over the next year I should be able to start paying them back.

Well, I just got off the phone with my banker and my mortgage is set to go. I have a closing date on a three story 1938 duplex that is a part of a townhome association set for October 28th! I will make my last rent payment on November 1st and then start on HOUSE PAYMENTS! Wow! I'm sort of in shock, I'm completely excited, and mostly scared. I'm finally getting my shit together and maybe after 2 years of not being able to repay my friends that so kindly helped me I should be able to start making a dent! Friends and God work in mysterious ways and they were angels for me. Both just offered when it seemed like I didn't have a straw left to hold on to, neither has said boo about paying it back to them, and now after 6 months of planning and pinching after 2 years of barely getting by, I think I will finally be able to start returning their kindness to them.

Anyone want to come help me clean the apartment I have to move out of and paint the house I'm moving into???

No comments: