Sunday, October 23, 2005

Family and snow

it's cold! I am home from the wedding and I'm freezing! It's warmer here in Rochester than it was in South Dakota this weekend but it is still cold. Brrr!

I drove 336 miles one way yesterday and back today to attend the wedding of a young man whose dad has been coming hunting at my parent's place for over 25 years. The entire group of guys that have been hunting on my parent's place for what will be 30 years this November were all there with their kids and grandkids. My mom was so happy. She got to visit with all of them and they all treat her like a queen. She got all sorts of hugs and they waited on her hand and foot. All the kids that are my age and my sister's age caught up, danced, laughed, drank., we had a great time. The kids of the kids were even cuter. I blew bubbles for the twins, danced with the kids. Took us all 45 minutes to leave because everyone had to hug everyone. It was worth the 336 one way drive.

What wasn't worth the drive was the weather I drove into. The first 225 miles of the trip were fine. Sun shining but it was about 50 degrees. I got to the MN/SD border and it was WINTER. First snow flakes were floating in the air right around Sioux Falls. Made the transition to I-29 and the sun was shining. Got 30 miles north of Sioux Falls and literally drove into a black wall. There was 1.5 inch ice blobs pelting my windshielf with huge snow flakes thick enough to make it hard to see. Drove through that for 15-20 miles. Then the sun was shining, then snow again. Got to Watertown for the wedding, it was about 38-40 degrees. Half way through the wedding more big fat snow, had ice rain during the reception that froze the doors on the car, hotel room heater only blew out cold air. BRRR!!

I usually get very very excited about the first snow of the season. But that is when the first snow comes when I'm at home, can turn on a movie, curl up with the boy and the cats, a blanket and cocoa. I called the boy to let him know it was snowing so he can think about getting the fancy tires off the truck since it probably will be snowing in Rochester by the end of this week. Crazy...just in time for me to move :)

Happy snowfall everyone! I'm going to bed in my flannel jammies after a nice hot bath!

No comments: