Monday, October 10, 2005

Surprise from home

I got a great surprise at work today. First off, nothing like a week off of work to make one feel mucho appreciated. My chief resident practically hugged me, my desk staff did hug me, and my secretary made me muffins for my birthday. That was all fine and great but I was so discombobulated from being gone for a week I didn't really have time to appreciate it all. But then I got a phone call from my cast room nurse who spent the weekend shooting prairie dogs at my mom and dad's place in South Dakota. (600 miles from here) He said he had something for me. I met him upstairs and he had a cake from my mom!

most of you know that my mom is pretty sick. she has late stage ovarian cancer and is making an attempt at a third round of chemo but has failed two options in the last two months. anyway, she's tired, sick, whatever. But she made me a cake! It was a chocolate sheet cake with white frosting and caramel hershey kisses on it. I had a piece with lunch and then shared the rest with my residents. They are poor starving docs that don't get homemade anything very often so I shared. I also brought a couple pieces home though and I just had a big hunk of it with vanilla bean ice cream. Oh my! So yummy.

So that was the highlight of my day. A homemade chocolate cake from my mom. Now that I have that warm fuzzy in my head I'm going to call it a night. Night night!

No comments: