Sunday, November 27, 2005

Pictures from home

Okay, I found the camera and the cord in the stuff I sent home and I'm calling it quits for the night anyway, so I thought I would post my pictures from the trip to South Dakota before going to bed. The boyfriend came over for dinner and we cracked the bottle of champagne my realtor gave me as I cooked our first sit down dinner in the new house. Chicken Enchilda Ring, corn, and homemade pumpkin pie from scratch. We ate so much of the first two and finished off the complete bottle of champagne that we didn't get to the pumpkin pie. Will have to have that tomorrow.

So, for those of you that don't know where i grew up, here ya go . You have to click on the "Isabel, SD" to get the actual map for some reason but you can get there. Or Google Map Isabel, SD on yoru own. Either way...it's the middle of no where. That funny looking gray area, yup, that's Indian Reservation. And for the record, you DO NOT have to be Native American to live there. Just happen to be where my grandfather settled when he moved up from Nebraska in 1960. We live about five miles outside of the actual town of Isabel. The trees that are there are there because grandpa planted them as part of the county conservation plan way back when. If you didn't plant trees, you didn't have trees because there aren't really any in that part of South Dakota. What there is, is lots of wildlife.


First, the pheasants. Western South Dakota isn't really known for it's pheasants like Eastern South Dakota is (the missouri river divides the state). These young guys were walking across the road on Friday morning.


And now for the main show...I got up at about 8:30 on Thanksgiving morning. These pictures were taken as the birds retreated. If I had been faster with the front door I could have knocked one in the head and had him for dinner a few hours later. These are wild turkeys. Better known as pests. They can't fly worth shit so when they "roost" they fly as high as they can get and then just crash through the tree until they land on a branch that will hold them. The poop on everything. They have pecked the dials off the grill and hurt the shingles a time or too as well. no, we don't eat them. For the record, wild turkeys are all dark meat. They get dry when you try to cook them. They do taste pretty good sealed in foil and left on the grill for a long time though with a can of beer up their butt.




These aren't turkeys! This is my family. That is the back of Grandma's head to the camera. She hates the camera. Dad's the one reaching for the spoon for something. Mom's in the blue and the kid with the wine glass is my little sister. She's legal so no worries. We pigged out twice. Grandma can't make it up the stairs at the farmhouse anymore so Mom cooked at our house and we brought it in for her. Turkey, mashed taters, gravy, stuffing, homemade bread, and cranberry jello dessert. Afterwards, we cleaned up, hauled our stuff back home, watched the first half of the Denver vs Dallas game (my sister is a Cowboys fan, I'm a die hard Broncos fan...no blood was shed), and then we went back into town for a second round of thanksgiving dinner at a friends house complete with turkey, ham, regular potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, raspberry jello dessert, orange jello dessert, pumpkin pies, cream puff dessert....thank God for elastic pants.


This is my mommy being cool. As I was packing up she asked what my little white gumpack size gadget was. It was my iPod shuffle. I strapped the arm band on her, rigged up my headphones and hit the play button. She told me my music sounded like a funeral dirge! Must have been the "massage" music the boyfriend downloaded onto it for me. She didn't listen for very long. I was just impressed she let me put it on here.

While my Reggie and Romeo were home with the cat sitter I was cuddling with the farm kitties. These two are the newest additions since I was home in August. Aren't they cute? Little black fuzz balls. But they were so playful. And yes...I have that big coat on and gloves because it was cold!
One of those two big cats is mommy to the two fuzz balls. The scrawny one on the right is Bear. Refer to August blog entries for my last run in with Bear...let's just say I didn't pick her up this time. The one on the left has a name but I can't remember it. She and Bear are sisters.


So that was my trip home. I slept in every day! It was awesome. Finished White Oleander and started Predator by Patricia Cornwell. Got home a day early but I got a few things done here that I am happy for. The boyfriend and I went to Harry Potter for the second time. We had a freaky full fledged thunderstorm in the middle of the night complete with rain, lightening and crashing thunder. Odd for almost December! Today I made the above mentioned dinner, attempted to start painting the entry way. FYI...painting over glossy paint sucks! Primer sticks in some places, runs in others, and doesn't do shit in most. It's mostly dry now though, I'll sand the runs tomorrow and try a second coat. At least the nasty red/pink color is mostly covered. Now off to bed!


No comments: