Sunday, January 15, 2006

Recipe Share

I'm attempting to be ambitious today after sleeping most of yesterday. that means tackling the kitchen. I just finished baking a pan of Texas Brownies as well as cleaning out the refrigerator. I have put away the last batch of new year's eve chili. My family has never really had much to do with New Year's Eve so my ex and I did our own thing. I would make a batch of crock-pot chili and cornbread muffins and we would watch movies. When I first came to MN two years ago I didn't know anyone and had no plans for New Year's Eve so I brought my chili into work. Since then it has become a hit and I bring it in once every three months at the end of quarter as a way to say thanks to each quarter's residents. This quarter I brought it in twice in one week; once for the residents, and again for a party for my nurses and desk staff. I thought since I'm so tired now after baking I would sit and type out the recipe to share.

The chili has evolved to say the least. I started with my Mom's basic recipe but took out the green peppers. I combined that recipe with one from a restaurant in Helena that makes THE best spicy chili ever. However, when taking chili in to a large group you can't guarantee that everyone will like it spicy. So I tinkered and here is what i have come up with. This amt of ingredients makes a large stockpot full that feeds group of 12-15...think Super Bowl Party crowd.

5-7 lbs of ground hamburger/elk/venison/turkey (whatever ground best you like)
3-4 tbls of garlic chopped
1 medium to large onion diced

Brown the above in large skillet.

3 cans dark kidney beans (drain)
3 cans light kidney beans (drain)
3-4 cans black beans (drain)
4 cans whole kernal sweet corn (drain)
2-3 large cans of diced tomatos (either plain or pick your favorite flavor, I like the basil garlic ones) (Don't drain)
One carton fresh mushrooms
One large can tomato sauce
3 cans chopped green chiles (don't drain)
1/2 bottle of chili powder (to taste)
4 packages of chili seasoning (McCormick, Hyvee brand, whatever)
2 tbls Italian seasoning
2-3 bay leaves
3 cans of Diet Coke with Lime
1/2 to 3/4 bag of dark brown sugar
1 tbls dry mustard

Throw all of the above into the biggest pot you have and heat. The brown sugar and Coke are sort of the "key" ingredients. The black beans and chilies give it spice but it is balanced by the sweetness of the sugar and Coke.

Of coures, you can do the math and make this recipe smaller. I just have never made it for a small group so that is why I have it in such large quantities. Enjoy!

No comments: