Saturday, April 29, 2006

Assumptions

I had to run a few errands this morning. I went to the post office first to mail two packages to friends. The counter clerk was friendly, made appropriate small talk, was efficient in my transaction. My packages are appropriately stamped priority and fragile to be delivered in two days time. Perfect.

I also stopped at the mall. I needed to go to Bath and Body Works but also wanted to just peruse through Barnes and Noble. I have several business trips coming up as well the framework for my summer vacation taking form. That means time to stock up on a few good books to haul along with me. I love new books. I have at times bought uses books off the internet when I wanted to buy an entire series at a time or what not but I also enjoy wandering through the bookstore looking at the new arrivals, suggested reads, and our recommendations table. While I was browsing the tables, two separate employees stopped me just long enough to ask if I was looking for something in particular. I answered no and they left me to my browsing. That's how I like to shop.

I walked out with Wicked, Memoirs of a Geisha, a book by the Dahli Lama's mother and Eat, Pray, Love. We are going to go see Wicked in July so I want to read the book. I skipped Geisha in the theaters because I hadn't read the book yet. Picked up the Dahli Lama book because it was on clearance and he was just here in town. The last one caught my eye with the cover and then drew me in with the subject. It was written by a thirty year old "I have it all" woman who found out she didn't and didn't know herself. She took a year to travel to Italy, India and Indonesia where she ate, prayed and fell in love respectfully. Looked interesting.


My final stop was Bath and Body works. How annoying to shop in there, but I needed a few things...lotion and a shower sponge. You are going to tell me I could go somewhere else but their really thick body cream is about the only lotion that works on my MN scaly dry legs. Anyway. As I was walking to the shower sponges an overly perky clerk asked me if I was gifting or coupon shopping. She makes two assumptions...I'm already on their mailing list and I must have a gift list. I am NOT one of those organized peoples with a gift closet full of things for upcoming birthdays etc. i answer no. She briefly walks away. Comes back two seconds later...oh, have you smelled our new fragrance as she shoves a bottle of magnolia blossom at my nose. No, I haven't, uh...I don't like that one.

So I get my few items and I go to the check out counter. Another clerk is checking me out and my persistent, assuming previous clerk comes up to me again. "Oh, if you spend over $25 you can buy this super soft robe for only $35? Are you sure you don't need it for an upcoming mother's day gift or bridal shower?" NO!!! I told her that the first time she asked if I was "gifting". Ugh!

I'm home with my new books, pear blossom lotion and sage green shower sponge. Now I am NOT going to organize my gift closet but I do have a couple belated birthday cards to write out.

No comments: