Sunday, April 30, 2006

Soggy Bottom Ride...

right before christmas I decided that in order to stay motivated to go to the gym I needed something to work towards. I decided upon the Minnesota Ironman Bike ride to be held the last Sunday in April. I had a 30-60-and 100 mile option to choose from. i originally thought, "what the hell" and shot for the 100.

I realized very quickly the number of hours it takes to ride 100 miles on a bike and decided that wasn't for me. My attention span is bad enough without purposefully deciding to try to bike that far. So I thought, "Okay fine, I'll do the 60 miles". That was before I got so stinkin' ill as was documented here on this site. Two weeks of little to no lung capacity, no voice, and absolutely no gym time nearly ruled ou the idea of doing 60 miles.

Except that one little line on the registration form..."this year's 30 mile route is a bit hillier than the past". Uhm. I don't like hills. not that south eastern minnesota has that many but i much prefer to go over them at 75 mph in my car than under my own man power. So I was thinking of starting the 60 mile route and riding until I got to a half way point and then riding on a van back to avoid the hills.

My alarm went off bright and early at 5:30 this morning. I was on the road to Lakeville by 6:40 ish. I did some serious self talk as my windshield wipers whacked back and forth at high speed and the wind pushed against my car. "Why am I doing this?", "Screw the $35", "again, why?" I turned my turning signal on twice to pull off the interstate and turn around but I just couldn't bring my self to do it.

I'm stubborn. Horribly stubborn. i had told people I was doing this, I was going to do it. I had on my near the knee thigh length spandex, a pair of mesh capris, and a pair of lined windpants. On the top I had a fitted dry-fit tank. A long sleeve mesh top, a form fitting fleece, a nylon running jacket and the boys' flannel lined hooded industrial rain coat. Carroll College stocking cap under the helmet. Screw the biking gloves, I gloved up with my wool winter gloves. Everyone's spirits were high in the parking lot, it was sort of infectious. I visisted the ladies room, got my handlebar tag and off I sat.

No shit on the hills! but I was doing it. i was doing the ride, on my own in spite of the rain. I walked my bike up one hill but didn't feel so bad with about 10 other people walking with me. I got to the 18 mile point and was so wet my pants were now longer than when I had started and were hanging around my shoes about half way over them. My stocking cap underneath my helmet was starting to get wet. And the rain was starting to sting my face. As I wheeled up to the rest stop there was a sag van waiting and I said fuck it. I had attempted it, I was doing okay from a muscle stand point but I had reached my saturation point.

I crawled into the van with a half dozen other riders and then one guy swore he would vouch for all of us that we had biked the whole thing :) I felt bad, somewhat disappointed but I really did not want to continue in the rain.

I got my t-shirt which i paid for when I registered, I got my 40th anniversary Ironman Bike Ride pint glass, loaded the car and dropped the top two layers of pants and tops in a wet soggy puddle and drove home barefoot! My shoes weighed 10 lbs filled with water. I cranked the heat to full blast and home I came.

A hot shower later, lunch with a greasy burger and a nap and I'm still freezing. So...18 miles instead of 30.

Things I learned about myself today:
  • I'm still stubborn
  • I at least tried it
  • I can do things I sat my mind too
  • I get grumpy when soggy
  • There is a human saturation point !
So back to wrapping up in my blanket. I'm watching Willy Wonka and trying to stay awake. i'll sign up for another ride when it's not so wet and windy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...



Also visit my blog ... cordyceps fungus
my web page :: cordyceps