Monday, April 17, 2006

Honey, I'm Home

My brain is fried from driving a total of 1350 miles between Thursday morning at 10:40 (I left town a bit late) and tonight at 6:10 pm when I got home. So I used the miles of driving to take notice of a few things and take count....

  • Total miles driving: 1350
  • Total number of stops: 9 (to pee, to gas up, to sleep)
    • Number of roadside naps as part of these stops: 3, yes, I sleep in my car
  • Rivers crossed (that I can remember)
    • Root River
    • Cheyenne River
    • Missouri River--6 times! Figure that one out!
  • Time line crossed: just one but again, 6 times!
  • Top price for a gallon of gas: $2.79 at Chamberlain, SD
  • I-90 Driving Conditions: in Serious need of repair
  • Number of Idiot Drivers between here and there: Too damn many to count!
  • Road goodies consumed
    • One old fashion chocolate donut
    • One large cup of Karuba coffee with cream
    • One liter of Mountain Dew
    • Two liters of water
    • One small bag gummy worms
    • One small bag melted and re-gelled gummy bears (they taste the same but have little bitty bubbles in them)
    • Half pound of Nibs (red ones)
    • One junior bacon cheeseburger, small fry and a small Frosty (takes serious talent to eat a Frosty while driving 85 mph)
    • One bag reduced fat Italian Gherdetto chips
    • One six piece gas station mozarello sticks
    • Half of a small package of peanut M&Ms
    • One liter Cool Blue Powerade
    • Two McD's cheese burgers
  • Animals seen (dead or alive)
    • Cows: in the thousands (and lots of fresh calves running and jumping in the sun)
    • Tatonka: (that's Lakota for Buffalo if you haven't seen Dances of Wolves) in the hundreds
    • Pheasants: in the hundreds, maybe a thousand total
    • Bugs: A billion squished on my windshield (and that damn blue shit at the gas station does NOT take them off, just smears them good)
    • Badger: one but he was PISSED OFF
    • Horses: At least a 100 or 200
    • Dinosaur: One, constructed out of scrap metal with a human on a leash
    • Turkeys: there's a flock of about 17 in mom and dad's yard
    • Raccoons: one scurrying out of the shed, a few dead along the road
    • Farm cats: too many to count but one very pregnant one hanging out on the front porch at mom and dad's
    • Sheep: again, hundreds and with fuzzy baby lambs
    • Dogs: One at the nursing home, one dead on the interstate and a third on the shoulder looking at his dead buddy (YES, I CRIED and NO, I wasn't the one that hit it!) :(
  • Naps taken at home: Too many to count
  • Earliest I got up this weekend: 4:45 am! Sunrise Mass on Sunday :)
  • Temperature range: 80+ degrees on Thrusday, in the mid 40's today
  • Average MPH OVER the posted speed limit
    • Going: at least 12-15 over
    • Coming back: only about 7-10 over
  • Number of speeding tickets: NONE!
    • Two Minnesota Highway Patrol on the other side of the road
    • One Tribal Sheriff in an SUV who played games with me for 10 miles before blowing by me
    • One South Dakota Highway Patrol at the on ramp in Mitchell but he got stuck at the light :)
  • Number of cats happy to have me home : 2!
Now, a hot cup of tea and to bed with myself a bit early! I'm on call tomorrow.

No comments: