Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Wow...I work in a really cool place

Yesterday Sandi left me a comment asking if I saw the Dahli Lama...funny she should ask. i least at the time I sort of thought it was funny.

I had sort of spaced that he was going to be here because I was going to be traveling. So today, when I saw two of my coworkers standing at an exit window I stopped to say hi and ask them what they were doing. They said the Dahli Lama was getting ready to leave and they were waiting to see him. He has been here for the last week both as a speaker and a patient. There is a "special" floor where dignitaries go to receive their care...bullet proof glass, ID only access, etc. He had been up there.

So, there is an entourage' of course. A large group of suits (one chic suit...she was a grump) with shades and the little ear piece all talking and hand signaling to each other so I join my two friends to watch. We are about 15 feet from the door.

With a quick two fingers from "me to you" between two of the guards the front door opened and out walked the Dahli Lama in his traditional dress. There were four of us at the window standing like idiots gauking. He turned, flashed this beautiful huge smile and waved to us like a little kid and all four of us put our hands up and waved back just as enthusiatically and just as child like. Wow...the Dahli Lama!

His guards were attempting to usher him into his limo but he threw them for a loop. Completely nonchalantly he turned away from the car and stopped too speak with a young man in a wheelchair with a cast on his leg. Took a quick photo, smiled and waved and into the car he went.

Yes, I had tears in my eyes. Yes, I was giddy. Yes, it made me shiver. And over and over again I just said in my head "wow, the Dahli Lama!"

So Sandi...I did see him and even more amazing, he saw me and acknowledged my presence. Wow!

No comments: