Monday, May 01, 2006

Implied Intelligence

Through out one's life, we interact with many individuals. As we go through life, we chose to advance our education, pursue a career, work in that career field. At least that's the plan, right?

As students we look to our teachers and parents for guidance. We trust those educating us are providing us with the knowledge we need to pursue our desires. Not so much true in grade school and high school...there we are being taught more the of the basics, everyone focusing on the framework for future learning and moral development. For the lucky, something we are taught in those years catches our attention and we develop a desire to pursue that farther as we advance to college, trade school, apprenticeships, etc.

Again, we look to our professors, mentors, future colleagues to guide our learning. It becomes our responsibility to learn about our chosen profession and then venture into the career world armed with the knowledge to do well in one's career. Please stop me here if I have said something incorrect.

However, I'm starting to believe once we enter a career field we may be making an assumption that is kicking us all in the ass. Let's start with a simple example. When you walk into McDonald's you assume the clerk at the counter has the skills to take your order, make change, and tell you to have a nice day. You don't expect that person to offer you ethical advice, manage your business portfolio, or cure your illness. Now, let's go to a more complicated example. When you work in the healthcare profession, it is implied doctors, PAs, nurses, have a baseline higher level of education and when caring for patients should be able to do so with the knowledge they learned to rectify the situation. You don't expect a healthcare provider to advise your next stock purchase.

As my high school teachers always said..."when you assume something you only make an ass out of you and me". I wouldn't say I have become an ass but I have become disgruntled when dealing with fellow health care providers as of late. By implying a medical degree gives one superior skills in caring for one's health is becoming not always a certainity.

I am not claiming to be any smarter than those I work with on a daily basis. Not in a long shot...there is so much more I have to learn. I am quick to point out areas I do not have knowledge in, actually sometimes to fault. But, at the same time, I do my job to provide the best possible care to my patients and expect those other individuals charged with the same responsibility to do the same. Oops...big mistake!

The "title" of doctor, physician assistant, financial advisor, software engineer, mechanic implies a baseline knowledge in that area of the world. What it does not imply is the common sense to relate to patients, clients, customers, and maybe more crucially, colleagues. THAT is what we don't get taught and I have learned is not safe to assume everyone has it.

Is it too much to ask for respect from fellow co-workers when working towards the same goal in whatever your profession? Is it too much to ask very highly educated individuals to ignore their textbook knowledge to actually logically think through a situation? Do they still teach "logic" in school? Uhm....just a random Monday rant.

Have a great week everyone.

No comments: