Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I must expect too much

I only say this because lately I seem to be let down by a lot of things. Maybe it's because I am expecting too much. In my own life, I have always strived to do better, be the best, work hard, keep learning, be polite, stand up for myself. Is that too much to ask of other people?

For example...you visit the bank to establish a new account. You already have two other accounts with this same bank. You want to open a new checking account with a debit card and electronic funds transferring capabilities. No need for paper checks. Simple enough. You already have a standard account number with the bank and according to the banker sitting across from you, you will only need to add a simple four digit number to the end of this previously existing account number. So you do that.

You then begin using said account for your new small at home business. You place your first order from this business. Order ships without a problem. The weekend comes and goes and you get a call first thing Monday morning from said business stating they did not receive payment because the bank told them your previously mentioned new account doesn't exist. Now how can that be? You had used the debit card you were assigned, it worked. You had made deposits in person at the bank, those worked.

You call said bank. You ask for checking account number. The teller tells you the account number. Remember those 4 digits you were told...yeah, the banker told you them BACKWARDS. What the hell! Talk about embarrassing.

So I fix bones. Luckily, a higher power gave us a mirror image set of almost every bone in the body for those of us visual learners that need to look at things to study them. I can look at the left AND the right to see where things are wrong. Imagine if I made a similar mistake to what my banker did to me...you know what happens? I operate on, cut off, screw, or rod THE WRONG ANKLE/ARM/HIP/KNEE/SHOULDER and I GET SUED.

What happened when the banker gave me the new addition to my account number backwards? A scolding from a teller that tripped over herself apologizing to me after she gave me the correct order of numbers. Me, I called my new business back and made the correction all while my face was cherry red with embarrassment and frustration.

People, pay attention to the details of your job. They really ARE important.

No comments: