Monday, December 04, 2006

A Christmas Challenge

now that I'm in the mood, I want to try to get the rest of you there as well. Christmas can be a hard time for a lot of people. I was lucky, even when things were really tough I was able to both give and receive Christmas gifts. That isn't the case for everyone. There are a lot of parents that worry about not being able to turn the heat on in December let alone get their children something from Santa. There are kids out there who know things are tough and have just given up believing in Christmas.

I challenge each of you, no matter how rough your own situation is, to help someone else. I have given to Toys for Tots since my freshman year of college when a group of us got together in Knickerbocker's garage to make little wooden cars. there were a few years where all I could buy as a $10 toy and donate but there have been other years where I have been able to give a bag of balls and games for all ages.

I challenge you to do the same. The US Marine Corp coordinates with all sorts of other businesses so it should be easy to find a drop off point in your neighborhood. Here in Rochester it's the local country music station at a different business every morning and evening this entire week. Spend $5 on a childern's book instead of your latte this week, or spend $100 on a whole Santa bag of toys. Whatever you have, share it somehow. You might be surprised what it does for you!

No comments: