Sunday, January 07, 2007

The end of Christmas

It's a gray, dark weekend. The boyfriend is still stuck in England. There isn't a flake of snow to be seen. And..it's the end of Christmas this weekend. See why I slept until 12:30 pm today?

Epiphany marks the end of the Christmas season in the Catholic church. Advent led us up to it. My family has always put their tree up early and left it up until Epiphany. So today, I'm taking the decorations down. Putting up the tree is always a sense of accomplishment, an anticipation of when all the lights are first turned on, an "ahhhh" when it is all done. Taking the tree down is a downer. It's a mess that has to be cleaned up. It's an emptiness in the living room. I just don't like doing it.

The issue isn't just taking down the decorations. I'm flat out lonely this weekend. I'm not use to having my weekends to myself unplanned. Usually when my boyfriend has to travel I have known about it ahead of time, anticipated both his departure and his return, been able to spend time with him before hand. This trip was so unexpected and rushed it sent me tumbling from the beginning. I understand it's his job and I'm not upset at him for going. God, knows I have had to change plans or be late for things because I have been stuck in the OR past expected. It's just been a long week is all. I need to sit down in his arms and talk a few things through. I can't do that until next weekend.

Instead I have read two books in one week and started the third last night. Joined a friend for breakfast yesterday and then my previously mentioned jean's expedition. Last night I went to bed at 11 pm, my boyfriend called from the front of Buckingham Palace at 8 am and we chatted for a while but I wasn't very awake (I do feel bad about that, I would have liked to talk to him a little longer), and then I went back to sleep for several more hours. Doesn't help I have a cold this week. My goal is to do little this weekend, sleep lots and feel better tomorrow morning. And I am looking forward to having him home by Friday!

No comments: