Wednesday, January 03, 2007

HNT...remember how?

This week our country laid to rest a President. I'm not old enough to remember President Ford but I do remember my Grandfather who was a World War II Navy vet and my Dad who is a Vietnam War vet. I remember learning the Pledge of Alligence in first grade and being presented with a little flag of my own when I could successfully recite all its lines. I remember playing my tenor sax every Memorial Day at the community service even though school had been out for three weeks . I remember feeling special when I was picked from the school kids to put a flag on a cross in the cemetry afterwards for all those locals killed in various wars fought by our country. I remember crying the first time I saw "The Wall".

So this week, I pose the question. Do you remember how to cover your heart with your right hand to say the Pledge or sing along with the National Anthem? Even if you don't know the words, do you remember that we are to show respect for our flag during the Pledge or the National Anthem?

Where's the rant coming from? I continue to cover high school sports locally for the Sports Medicine Department. I enjoy high school sports and it gets me into the games for free. But last night when it was time for the National Anthem I happened to notice how many people just stand looking around with their hands at their sides, talking, wandering to the concession stand, etc all while our National Anthem was playing and we have thousands of men and women representing those stars and stripes across the globe...Next time, stand out in the crowd...cover your heart and show some respect for the past, the present, and the future of our country!

Happy HNT

No comments: