Sunday, April 01, 2007

new books!


Nothing makes me smile like a stack of brand new books to read (even the kitties enjoy the benefits)...I needed a pick me up and so I asked the boyfriend to join me at Barnes and Noble for the afternoon. Figure we needed some time together but was too scared to go home and just "talk" yet. We did eventually go home, read our books together, ate dinner and talked about what we needed to talk. I feel a bit better.

Now I'm at home and I have two bags of new books to read :) I started Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian. I'm 75 pages into it already and I'm hooked. Here's what else I got:

Nanny Diaries by
Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus on CD for this weekend's road trip
The Memories We Keep by Walter Zacharius
The Patron Saint of Lairs by Ann Patchett
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
Interior Castle by Teresa of Avila, Translated by E. Allison Peers
Flesh and Bone by Jefferson Bass

There is something about the potential a stack of brand new books brings with it. The anticipation of a new story through another's eyes. The chance to put yourself into situations you might never experience for real. A chance to see how others live. An opportunity to escape into the pages. A new book has a smell too. When you mention the smell of a "new car" to someone, almost everyone can conjour up the aroma. The same is true for a "new" book as opposed to an "old" book.

So things are still on mostly level ground in my life with a few pebbles in the path. Until the pebbles are cleared, I'll watch my step. In the meantime, I'm going to read.


skip to next titleskip to next title

No comments: