Wednesday, September 05, 2007

August Non-Fiction Five Read


What: Measure of a Man
Who: Sidney Pottier
Category: Spiritual Memoir
Review: I finished my August book several weeks ago but haven't gotten around to posting about it because I've been trying to think about what to post. I was expecting eye opening knowledge and wisdom. A "secret" to life read. I didn't get the vibe for either. I was actually very disappointed in this book and often caught myself wondering just how arrogant is Mr. Pottier.

This man has done great, great things on film and he lived a tough life growing up in the islands, moving to Miami, opening a bbq shop that failed in New York, to his fame in Hollywood. Nonetheless I had a hard time finding something to latch onto in this book. Hard work gets you a long ways...yeah I knew that already. The one resounding confirmation in the book was his unwillingness to compromise his views and values. He easily could have done any film in his early days but he was picky. He chose films that spoke to him and his values. He took risks in his films and bucked the system when he could. For that I respect him. Overall, the book didn't "hit" me like I expected it too.

Now, I need to get on to the next one--Infidel. With this challenge I've picked up more nonfiction books though and I'm actually in the middle of Chocolate Legs: Sweet Mother, Savage Killer instead of the book I had on my list. I really DO like nonfiction...you 'da thunk it!

No comments: