Wednesday, August 13, 2008

HNT...why Alaska?

My camera had been missing in action for much of July and even though I dragged the camera all the way to South Dakota plus tubing I didn't take any pictures. I have had these planned for a long time but you know, needed the camera.

Many individuals have asked me "Why Alaska?" For the record, this is not the first time I have considered moving there. Ever since Northern Exposure I have been fascinated with the state. When I first graduated from PA school I applied for several positions in Alaska with Indian Health Services (IHS). IHS always has jobs open but that doesn't me jobs are always available. They list the positions so when they need someone they have a bank of applicants to sift through. So even though I had applied, there were no true positions available at the time.

You all know my love and passion for Montana, particularly Glacier National park. I did not grow up in the mountains. Rolling plains and buttes were about all I had. When I moved to Montana and had the mountains at my side everywhere I went there was a comfort that I felt. I was exposed to the wonders of the woods and the outdoors. There truly is something special in the mountains.

Alaska has mountains, it has trees, and most importantly it gets cold. I despise heat. Long before I started this blog, I lived for 14 months in Phoenix, AZ. I was NOT a happy camper. Now living in south eastern Minnesota I tolerate summers with multiples days with humidity levels about 60-70% when air temps are in the 80's. Again, not comfortable. I'm a snow bunny through and through. I would rather wear a big hoodie and sweat pants then shorts and a t-shirt. I would rather slip into a cashmere sweater and cordoroys then a skirt and tank. When it's cold, you can always put enough clothes on. When it's hot...nekkid (half or full) is NOT nekkid enough.

Here is what I plan to cover up my cordoroys and sweaters with when the temps in Fairbanks dip to -20 and lower. Yes, there is a minus sign in front of that 20. For all you warm weather folks that's 20 degrees BELOW zero.

This lovely parka was a serious score while at Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN. Duluth Pack had all winter North Face apparel on a serious sale. This lovely women's cut Parka complete with the fur hood only cost me $160 bucks! Seriously! Yes, you can see my battered and bruised legs from last week's tubing but this coat is going to do serious business when it comes to cuttin' the bite out of the air! Happy HNT!




No comments: