Sunday, September 21, 2008

Day 8: Culturally Confused


After so many days in the land of the Canucks I was starting to actually be able to convert kilometers to miles. i was also starting to get use to the slower pace; people in restaurants, hotels, gas stations aren't in the same hurry all of us in the US are. Today was to be the final drive though and we arrived at the Canada/Alaska border at noon Alaska time (one hour behind Pacific, two hours behind Mountain, three hours behind Minnesota). I was feeling very confused and what country I belonged to after so many miles. Alaska? Yukon? US? Canada? Not sure which way to go.



Dad made sure I knew the goal was still Fairbanks and after a few border pictures we made it through customs without a single issue. Didn't even look at the cat's certificates and I got to keep all my house plants. YEAH!!!


I'm happy to have "American" food again. I had a California burger at Fast Eddy's in Tok, AK...massive burger, homemade crescent roll like bun, avocado, sprouts, tomato and onion! And ketchup on the tables. I was happy to see miles instead of kilometers. I was happy to figure gallons instead of litres. The scenary continued to be beautiful but if you notice the colors have faded and the birches have dropped most of their leaves this far north. The spruce are still thick and green though so it doesn't look so bad. It's beautiful!

Our last wildlife adventure of the drive came before the border crossing when this little black bear toddled across the road. He took his time. We actually had to stop for him as he jiggled his way across. Cute little guy, isn't he?

No comments: