Wednesday, February 25, 2009

HNT...God help me

Every non-Catholic asks their Catholic friends, "What are you giving up for Lent?" The second question is usually, "Why?"

Lent is a time of reflection and intraspection. We are asked to look into our hearts and reflect on the darkness in our hearts as we prepare for the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus, God in flesh. The "giving up" is a way to remember the disciples and their promise to give up their homes and possessions to serve the Lord. It should be something of value or importance to the individual. Think of it as a challenge to set your mind too.

The readings for today, Ash Wednesday, remind Christians to go about their mission not letting the "right hand know that of what the left is doing". We are reminded to pray within our hearts, no on mountains in front of crowds to "show" how faithful we are. When fasting, groom oneself and take care of your appearance as to not appear as though you are fasting. It is not the reaction of those around you to your actions that count, it is your inner sincerity and that God knows what you are doing.

With that in mind, I debated posting this picture. I typically volunteer of my time during Lent. I have a busy schedule. It's hard for me to find time for those who need more. This year is different. I have lots of time. I'm still finding my way in the community up here. I am meeting people and trying new things but I'm not nearly as involved as I was in MN. As a kid you always gave up candy or treats, etc. That was never really an issue for me. I'm not a big candy snacker. This year, giving of my time to help with something won't be that difficulty . However, with the long dark days (let alone nights) and the many hours home alone, I have found a new comfort...

Ice cream! Lots of ice cream! And not just once in a while....nearly nightly! I have two Cold Stone gift cards in my purse begging to be used. So tonight, I moved the ice cream to the back of the fridge and I'll wait until Easter for the next big scoop! Let's hope Cold Stone is still in business in Fairbanks in 40 days! I'm not asking for your pity in my challenge; just a little support and probably a lot of teasing :) Happy HNT!

No comments: