Sunday, July 26, 2009

Homer-bound

Vacation is about to officially begin. Once I get through an enormous stack of back logged charts that are 100% my fault for not doing the two weeks prior to my board exams. I would have gotten more done this week but with nightly softball tournaments Monday through Thursday it didn't happen. So it is 2 pm on Sunday afternoon and I'm doggedly working my way through my stack. I will have to go into work to then put them into the work computer system. Then I'm going on an Alaska roadtrip!

Tomorrow at lunch time my Aunt and a coworker from her job are flying into Anchorage. From there we will begin an Alaska adventure. Yes, I live here but I haven't explored any of the southern part of the state. That's the "pretty" part you see on TV and such. We will have a scrumptious lunch at the local pizzeria in Anchorage called the Moose's Tooth...great pizza and better beer! It's where I celebrated lasts Friday at after the test. We will then head south to Homer, AK. Home of the Salty Dawg Saloon and miles and miles of ocean. We may or may not do some fishin' while we are there.

A night in Homer will do us good and then we are off to Seward, AK. We will make sure to check out the Marine Life Center before our second day takes us on a 9 hour cruise of the Kenai glaciers with whales, sealions, seals, and more. Glacier calving will be the highlight for me...I can't wait to hear the crash of the breaking ice as it falls into the bay. Could be a bit chilly though.

We will relax in Fairbanks after driving home on Friday for the long weekend. Monday afternoon we will start the slow drive back to Anchorage with a two day delay in Denali National Park. Some light hiking, bus rides to the end of the road, and a dog sled adventure await. Should be fun...now to finish these darn charts!


Homer Spit...We are staying at the tip of that piece of land.














Bald Eagles abound thanks to conservation efforts of locals.













Snow capped shoreline near Seward.





Incoming Glacier straight to the Bay!

No comments: