Monday, September 19, 2005

Project Linus

Over the last week the Women's Ministry team at my church has been working on fleece blankets to send down south. Domestic Psychology gave me the idea, I emailed her and she sent me a local Southern address for a Project Linus group. Project Linus is a national organization that normally provides blankets to needy kids. Well, we backed up a box of about 25 blankets tonight and are shipping it off. As I sat working on a few other church meeting tasks, the 10 o'clock news caught my eye. Another local parish in town is sending a semi load of blankets! A semi-load. Makes our 25 seem so small.

So, I'm opening this up as a challenge. If you have a small group of people that meet on a regular basis...to discuss a book, to plan an event, to drink wine and be silly....at your next gathering, consider doing all of this while tying fleece blankets or other easy to make blankets. See how many you can send. Link above and search for local chapters in various Southern communities. Imagine what it would be like as a child to not be in your home, or even your own state, to not have anything familiar and to not even have that soft blanket to cuddle up with. A "security" blanket might be just that little something that makes this all a bit more bearable from someone.

No comments: