Thursday, September 01, 2005

With these hands

i'm watching the end of NBC's coverage of Hurricane Katrina. they closed with pictures of the damage. the people. the leftovers. the help. They were playing a song that asked us to pray "with these hands". I have had coverage of it on since i got home tonight at 6:30. I've been on the verge of tears all week and watching that brought it all to a head. I had a similar reaction after Oklahoma City. I want to be there. I "fix" people with my hands every day and today all i can do for them is pray with my hands.

with all the stress I have had this week on my own plate, i hadn't really taken time to watch much of what has been going on down south other than to file it in the back of my head as something that was happening. tonight i "caught up". how does one even begin to comprehend what is happening? frustration that all the help that needs to be isn't their yet, hope from those that have gotten help, encouragement from people that don't have to help but have offered to do amazing things.

for now, i'll pray with these hands. for those of you among us that can, pray too. if you can, help with your hands in any way you can.

No comments: