Sunday, October 30, 2005

Day 2 of Homeownership

Even with the extra hour of sleep last night, I'm exhausted. Last night my boyfriend took me to dinner and we were both so tired from either house prepping or ultimate frisbee that we were in bed by 9. I slept in this morning until about 8:30 and then was back to house by noon to start working on things.

The above was the last picture of the day, my friend Paul spent the day helping me and after I had leaned into the wall in the guest bedroom he thought it looked like I had crapped my pants so he thought this was a good photo op! That was pretty much the only big paint oops of the day though.


This little strip was just us testing the color over the primer see if we needed to think about doing a second coat of primer or not. In this picture it looks pretty pink but in actuality it is a grayish lavendar color.
Above and below is the primer coat over the nasty brown sponge that you saw in yesterday's pictures. Just the white primer made the room look so much better. Tim had taken the mirror above the fireplace down yesterday and today Paul suggested I get a second mirror and put inside the bricked off fireplace. I plan to fill the area with a bunch of different sized candle pillars and the reflection off the mirror should look pretty cool. And the size of that mirror will be 31" by 28", just so Paul knows I remembered what we measured since I didn't write it down.


These last pictures are the hardest task of the whole day. i had to scrub with hot water to get all the DIFF off along with the left over adhesive. My knees were killing me but I got that done while Paul taped the crown molding that Tim and I didn't get too yesterday when we ran out of tape.



Some final taping before we started painting.


Paul was super good at the cornering bit so I tackled the wide open areas and up to the taping edges while he cut in with a sponge brush. He hated the color but I loved the way it turned out. The room feels so warm.
It still looks a bit splotchy because the paint wasn't completely dry yet. We had to do a little begging and praying to finish the room as we nearly ran out of paint. But we did it! The guest bedroom is completely painted. just need to pull off the tape. The crown molding, base boards and doors were originally finished wood but have been painted over several times. I would like to eventually strip them back to wood. I think they would look good that way with the warm caramel color. That will have to come in time.

The last project of the day was to fix this. The shower spout comes out of the wall at just about the top of my head. Even with that weird flexible hose I couldn't get it up high enough to make a shower comfortable for me, let alone my boyfriend. Reminded me of a Super 8 shower.


The old shower hose came off really easy and Paul had to crank pretty hard to get the attachment to point the right direction but we got it and the new shower head on so that most anyone can take a shower with the water at a comfortable height. Plus the new head is a massaging dial with different settings.
So that's what we accomplished today. Included two trips to Menard's, lunch at 4 pm at Culver's, sore feet, lots of paint fumes. Now I'm going to shower and call it a night. I was going to move a lot of stuff today but it was pouring rain. At least we were productive indoors.

No comments: