Sunday, December 11, 2005

High School Hockey

Last night I covered a local high school hockey game through the Sports Med department. I was there by myself so I made sure I got their early, said hi to the coaches, let them know where I would be etc. Growing up in western SD, I didn't grow up with hockey. I did follow the NHL a bit when I was in grad school because we were living in Phoenix at the time and I had the chance to watch the Colorado Avalanche play when they came to town. i have never really understood the rules to the game, I get the objective...get your puck into the other team's goal. That's simple enough. But play stops all the time, a few penalties I get, but there are a lot that I don't.

All of this is NOT what I found so fascinating. I was amazed by the teenagers swarming the arena. It was like a flashback to the 70s and 80s. The guys had long shaggy hair that curled up under their stocking caps, which they all wore with the tops pointed as far up as they would go. On the other end, their pants were barely hanging on and I saw more 16 year old add hanging out then I care to see. There was plenty of corduroy and polyester on the males as well. The girls must have been having a post-game 1980's themed party. Tank tops, body glitter, boobs hanging out everywhere, hair sprayed way high, glittered eyeshadow, bangle bracelets, dangling earrings. Talk about flashback.

I found myself sitting amongst a group of these girls. I like to sit directly behind the benches so if I need to get to them I can and I'm close to the door to get on the ice if I need too. These girls giggled and shreeked through the whole game. I had such a headache by the time the game was over. Way too high pitched, constant noise for me! Please tell me, was I that bad in high school.

The hockey game was at least interesting. Final score 5-3. Is the last period of a hockey game always just a crazy frenzy? Sticks, gloves, punches flying everywhere and this is high school! Afterwards the boyfriend and I went to see RENT. Strange show, interesting topic but strange. Also see they are bringing The Producers to the big screen...what's up with bringing Broadway to the movie theater? I thought the appeal to Broadway was just that, it is a LIVE show that you can't just see anytime, anywhere. Uhmmmm....

I'm going to medicate my headache and get ready to put up christmas decorations. Here's this to steal, borrowed it from Os...

Nocturnal Ideal Cutie Offering Lustful Loving and Embraces

No comments: