Monday, March 19, 2007

Who'd you invite?

I don't talk religion on my site much but occasionally I throw it in. This weekend at our Women's Lenten Retreat the presenter led us through a cool visual reflection. When we were all done we met in small groups to talk about what we had visualized. The topic for the day was The Basin and The Towel in it's relationship to our call to serve and to be served as Jesus did at the Last Supper.

Our task was to arrange our own Last Supper. Jesus would be there in our own homes and we had to plan the meal and guest list. Would we use special dishes? Any particular table setting? Who would you invite? Etc...it was very intriguing.

I instantly decided on my Chicken Alfredo Lasagna. It's easy and tasts amazing. Goes great with a Caeser salad. A couple bottles of white wine. Something with raspberries for dessert. All easy enough. Then I started my guest list. Then I started wondering where I would sit every one. Then I started worrying if I forgot someone. Did I have all the ingredients? It's got to be just right...

Then, an "aha" moment! Forget the guest list, keep the menu, just invite Jesus. If you are familiar with the Bible stories of Mary and Martha you know Martha was a fussy sort. Everything had to be perfect, it was always her busy prepping and serving which made an event successful while her sister Mary would sit at the feet of Jesus and talk. Once Jesus scolded Martha for her flightiness and instructed her to sit and enjoy. So, I'm a "martha". I have to have it all planned out, I have to make sure every guest is happy.

So...for my Last Supper in my own home I would invite Jesus, we would eat in the living room on my usual periwinkle Fiestaware with several bottles of average white wine and afterwards curl up in blankets and watch a movie together. Boring but at least I know I was giving Jesus my attention and he vice versa.

Now, the challenge...Who would you invite? What would you make? Why that way? Just something to ponder.

No comments: