Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Food Meme

I was tagged with the food meme by Osbasso.

The rules:

1. Add a direct link to your post below the name of the person who tagged you. Include the city/state and country you’re in.
    Nicole (Sydney, Australia)
    velverse (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
    LB (San Giovanni in Marignano, Italy)
    Selba (Jakarta, Indonesia)
    Olivia (London, England)
    ML (Utah, USA)
    Lotus (Toronto, Canada)
    tanabata (Saitama, Japan)
    Andi (Dallas [ish], Texas, United States)
    Todd (Louisville, Kentucky, United States)
    miss kendra (los angeles, california, u.s.a)
    Jiggs Casey (Berkeley, CA, USA! USA! USA!)
    Lee Ann (Birmingham, AL, United States)
    Osbasso (Helena, MT, USA)
    Moose (Rochester, MN, USA)

2. List out your top 5 favorite places to eat at your location.

City Cafe: Os has eaten here with me. As have guests from out of town that I have taken to this place. I first found it in October of 2003 when I flew back to Rochester to find a place to live and complete my new employee physical and such. I didn't have a car so I checked out places close. When i ordered a pumpkin cheesecake for dessert I was hooked. The atmosphere in the place is great too...rough stecco/concrete walls in a muted mustard, a moon mural with a bottle of wine, a great whine list, stall like booths, and a menu that changes seasonally.

China Star: Best Chinese take out in town. The portions are huge, the price is cheap and the flavor is to die for. I usually get two full meals and a snack out of one serving. I always get the crab rangoons instead of the egg roll. Fried or white rice depends on my mood. Favorite entree is Orange Chicken.

Rollie Pollie: This place has gone out of business because they opened in a bad location. The idea behind this place was deli sandwich shop but all the sandwiches were made in wraps. The hot ones were pressed onto a flatiron very quickly. The sauces, which I always got on the side, were very good and creative. The wraps came in different flavors and the "fillings" were unique. One of my favorites included turkey, brie cheese, and bacon. I miss it.

Michael's: This place is a legend of an establishment in Rochester. It's been here since the Mayo brothers were first operating. It's located downtown. Michael's is a steakhouse but all the elderly, rich "Clinic" patients frequent it on a regular basis in their best attire. But at the very next table you will find locals in jeans and a sweatshirt. The prices are more geared towards the "Clinic" clientele but the food is Midwestern steak done to perfection no matter how you order it.

The Canadian Honker: This is directly across from the hospital. They are famous for their Coconut Cake. It's so moist, comes in gigantic servings, and tastes like nothing I have tasted before. I also am fond of the Honker Melt. Sourdough bread, turkey, bacon, and coleslaw. They cater a lot of events in town as well and on the weekends they have live music (usually one man shows). We usually end each quarter here when the boss takes the residents and I out to lunch.

3. Tag 5 other people (preferably from other countries/states) and let them know they’ve been tagged.
Those with their feet up on the coffee table or desk as you read this
Those of you with cats
Those of you who have planted any flowers or plants this spring
Those of you road tripping for Memorial day
Those of you that have eaten ostrich (yes, I have and it's very good)

No comments: