Friday, June 06, 2008

More of Alaska

I don't think I could possibly post enough pictures to prove how amazingly beautiful and breathtaking the Land of the Midnight Sun is. Since I will be moving there this fall I thought I would at least try to post a few more photos of my adventures up there. The above photo is the Horseshoe Lake hike in Denali National Park. See the far end of the lake? That's where I was headed. There was a big ole beaver damn at that far end but I didn't see a single beaver along the trail.

Sled dog racing is a religion in Alaska. You might recognize the names of Susan Butcher, Doug Swingley, and Jeff King if you follow the Iditarod every March. Susan has passed away from leukemia. Doug Swingley, a Montana (not so popular in Alaska) has retired. But Jeff King is still at it. In spite of his very large sponsorship from Cabella's, sled dog racing is not cheap. SO...for all of us unsuspecting "tourists" we can "contribute" by spending $49 to come spend 3 hours at his home.

You can't help but fall in love when they greet you at the bus with adorable little puppies. Jeff has won four Iditarods and lots of other smaller races. He runs 70 dogs on his place and these dogs LIVE to run. While we were there they hooked up six to go on a training run and the entire yard goes crazy begging to be picked. What a life!


The Alaska Pipeline runs through Fairbanks and along the highway north of town. I missed a moose spotting by 24 hours here. The day before one was using the pipeline as a scratching post.

So there is a bit more of my Alaska adventure. I emailed the hospital yesterday and accepted the position! Come this fall I'll be an Alaskan moose :)

No comments: